[AT] OT : ! puter question for dsl

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Tue Mar 15 18:18:18 PST 2005

We were able to get DSL a couple of years ago and couldn't imagine not having it now. My wife who seldom used the internet is one of our housholds biggest users now.

As others have mentioned, if your computer is hooked directly to the DSL modem you definately need to look into firewall software. Also the hardware routers do a good job protecting you from the outside world. Mine has wireless so I'm sitting on the couch watching a movie with the kids while I resond!!  ;-)  Also note that wireless needs to have security measures enabled.

Even with the harware/software firewall it is still important to run Ad/Spyware software and Virus detection. The web sites you visit and the emails you read (especially attachments) can still harm your computer.

For the sake of everyone involved, practice "safe" computing.

Brad