[AT] Some ads from the 3/12 Lancaster Farming

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Mar 13 06:30:09 PST 2005

Larry D. Goss wrote:
> FWIW, I remember that thread about the sickle bar knife grinder, Mike.
> I thought of that as I "kicked" one on the basement floor of the
> "Antique Warehouse" in Goodland, Kansas, this past Friday.  I thought
> about buying it because "someone will need it" but the Jeep was already
> full of family hand-me-downs that we loaded up out in Colorado, so I let
> it go.  If anyone is traveling I-70, the antique mall is right next to
> the grain elevator on 17th street, and the grinder is down the stairs
> and to the right.
When I think about grinding the knives ("sections") on a sickle bar, I
really wonder why anyone would bother. In my case, the sections get
broken or badly notched long before they get dull. (But I am trimming
along roadsides and around ponds/ditches, not cutting hay.) Using a
rivet press, I can punch out a section and spin a new one in in less
time that it would take to fiddle with a grinder. And sections are still
pretty cheap. I seem to lose more of the old IH guards, due to bending
the ends, than I do sections, but the new generic guards seem to hold up
pretty well (even if they are painted green instead of red :-) and are
much thicker).

One minor problem is that I lost the outboard skid (and the support
bracket) from my IH 22 (Cub) mower last summer while clearing alongside
the road. I went back to try to find it where I thought it came off, but
I guess it buried itself in the rocks and debris. If anyone has one they
are willing to sell, please contact me off-line at <mikesloane at verizon.net>.

Thanks,

Mike

> Larry

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

He that is the author of a war lets loose the whole contagion of hell
and opens a vein that bleeds a nation to death. -Thomas Paine,
philosopher and writer (1737-1809)