[AT] Breakage

Len Rugen lrugen at c-magic.com
Thu Mar 10 13:51:56 PST 2005

My disasters tend to be "snowball" effect.  For example, the cotter key wore
thin and fell out of the upper yolk of a 3-pt lift arm.  Then the large pin
shifted itself free on one side.  Of course, none of this is noticed until
you lift something heavy.  The side of the yolk still engaged then twists
badly and eventually lets the lift link slide off the pin.  Now one arm is
lifting and the other isn't, so the plow tips gladly puncture the left tire,
removing about 1/3rd of it completely in a shower of fluid.

Parts to fix, one tire and tube plus service call.  Hot wrench to straighten
lift yolk but I broke the large crescent wrench (pipe too long) twisting the
yolk.  That was still cheaper than replacing the yolk.

Oh yea, add 1 cotter pin and a change of underwear...

> This is one of those relative things... 95% of the life of
> a tractor or any piece of
> equipment is the owner / operator.

---