[AT] Breakage

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Thu Mar 10 13:14:58 PST 2005

On 10 Mar 2005 at 15:14, Almost-Running Deere wrote:

> Sorry, Just what I've seen.  I think the chain was to keep from tearing the
> crap out of the tractor.  From what I have been told a non-frame mount
> backhoe is aa a repair waiting to happen
>
> Dana
> SE PA

	This is one of those relative things... 95% of the life of a tractor or any piece of
equipment is the owner / operator. I like to say that "some guys could break an anvil
while straightening feathers"... That is a genuine "farmer" quote for you.   :-)   I
constantly see stuff broken that absolutely amazes me. Scott and I walk around auction
sales saying over and over, "how in the hell did they break that ?" I am always surprised
at how many tractors I see with the lights bashed off of them. I don't believe I have
ever bashed a light.  Smashed grills, crushed goods and fenders. Stuff like broken off
gearshift levers. Most (most, not all) "breaks" are a direct result of abuse or miss-use,
period.
	My stuff is old and rusty and sometimes stuff wears out but we "break" very very little.
If you look at my stuff and see a big dent or bent stuff it is a pretty good likelyhood
that it was like that when we bought it. I have not hit a fence with a tractor or an
implement since I was 11 years old (that was a long time ago) and son Scott never has.
Our neighbor who farms behind me has hit the fence between us a couple of times and I
think his son hit it about 6 times as a teenager.  :-)
	I'm not someone that uses a tractor "occasionally". I have farmed all of my life and
used to have a small excavating business.
	I see the breakage on other farms, I just don't understand it...

	Having said all of this I will probably go back outside and break a tractor in half or
something...   ;-)   Probably not, I am building a horse stall and installing a drain and
water line under it by hand.   :-)

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana. Here 100 years
before the revolution.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net