[AT] ZTR's laughing

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Wed Mar 9 08:27:28 PST 2005

Whew!!  Apparently there are many many manufacturers of lawn mowers.
Most of the ones mentioned in this ZTR thread I have never heard of.
Deere, Grasshopper, Dixon, Simplicity, pretty much in that order around
here.  I use a Deere garden tractor.  Just something about a cup of
coffee in one hand and the steering wheel in the other that catches my
fancy.  I am not an intense mowing type.  More the relaxing type.  My
occupation fills the intense void.<g>  I have a couple friends with
Grasshoppers.  They are absolutely nuts about it.  One has a sloped
area.  I'll have to query him as to how it handles.  I know his wife had
quite a time getting onto driving it.  All the front deck style mowers I
have seen have a very deep deck.  This is a very good thing.  Also the
obvious advantage of the flip up feature for maintenance.  I am not
particularly impressed with my Deere 48C deck.  It plugs too easily.
The little town where my business is located uses Simplicity.  Both
undermount deck  garden tractor type and zero turn front deck type.
They can mow the airport in the rain!  They do an excellent job.  Deep
decks.  They are commercial versions, however.  The zero turn is a dark
green color and is not called Simplicity but I can't remember the name
right now.  My dad bought a Simplicity riding mower.  Home version.  I
think the current one is called the Coronet.  I am not impressed with
that thing.

I just had a phone call response to a newspaper ad about my B Allis with
the 72 inch Woods deck that is for sale.  The fellow wanted to know the
horsepower.  I told him low twenties somewhere.  He stated that was not
near enough horsepower, and hung up.  Wonder what he thought he was
calling about?  Briggs powered lawn tractor, I'll bet.<g>

Ron Cook
Salix, IA