[Steam-engine] Annual Boiler Steam Test?

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Wed Mar 9 04:46:43 PST 2005

Gentlemen,

I don't believe Patrick said this 1.25X steam test would replace the hydro, but rather be another test to ensure the engine is operating in the manner in which it should ("A proposal has been made to add a steam test of 1.25X working pressure. This is in addition to the 1.5X working pressure hydrostatic test.").  I however, feel that it is an excessive test and really doesn't need to be performed.  A rule of thumb is that you should lift your safety at least once a day to ensure that it is operating properly.  However, I don't always do this myself.  I frown on excessive safety lift off's.  As far as I am concerned, it shows signs of an inexperienced fireman/operator.  By all rights one doesn't have to operate the engines near there maximum pressure when parading around or sitting in idle.  Many a time I have walked by engines sitting around, turning the engine over slowly with the needle pegged around 150 lbs.  The operators really don't need all this pressure for what they are doing.  But many of us run our engines like we drive, right up to the maximum allowable limit.  Well now that I've put my two cents in, I will crawl down off my soap box.  It's good to hear some discussion going on though.

Lawrence J. Swanz