[AJD] JD Manual scans on CD

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Mar 7 13:36:56 PST 2005

Robert/Ron:

I agree, but there is always the difficulty of perception. What may be
determined as "fair and reasonable" by the manufacturer, due to costs the
consumer may not be aware of, vs what the consumer deems "fair and
reasonable" could be far apart. This is what makes the subject so stinking
messy.

In my experience this shows up the most often where there is significant
tooling costs involved and/or significant one time engineering costs
involved.  A product may look like a $0.10 item but there has to be $0.30
per part added to it to cover tooling and engineering amortization. CD's are
an example of a very high engineering cost for the content and a very low
COG for the actual CD itself and also low cost to burn copies.

It's kind of like in my example of Ron's fictitious training program. Ron
may have spent $100,000 of borrowed money to put his materials together.
Part of the charges for his training classes would include paying off that
debt. If it were copied illegally, the second party wouldn't need to charge
to cover the debt amortization. That is partially what Copyright and/or
Patent Law helps protect against.

The Harbor Freight example is a good one. I think this could fall into the
classification of "Situational Ethics" or being "Hypocritical". I suspect
most of Harbor Freight tools are "knockoffs" and are probably made of less
quality raw materials. I guess I justify buying HF tools because if I want a
good lifetime higher usage tool I typically will buy an American high
quality tool.  However, if I need a one-time or very low usage tool, I'll
try to find the lowest cost one that will work for that limited requirement.
I don't know what classification that puts me into!  :-)

The example that just totally violates this whole theory is the 1/2"
Craftsman Torque Wrench that I paid $99.00 for with a lifetime warranty,
that Sears no longer honors, and sells the new ones with a 90 day warranty
vs the $9.99 HF Torque wrench that has a lifetime warranty as of this date.
This comparison just doesn't compute with me.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com