[AT] anybody close to this?

Gerald Johnson geraldajohnson at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 2 07:30:59 PST 2005

I live in the Western NC mountains and thought I would pass along this for
what it is worth:

1.  The I-40 route is really not that bad.  You can expect road construction
including lane shifts and reduced lanes down through the gorge from
Waynesville to Newport, TN.  It has been that way basically since this
section was opened and probably always will be.   It is heavily traveled and
there are motorist assistance patrols running regularly through the gorge in
case there is a problem.  It is the main East-West route into and out of NC
so it is kept in as good a condition as possible by DOT.

2.  Another route is to take I-40 to Morganton, then hwy. 181 to Newland
(where I live) and then on 19E into TN.  Once you get to Elizabethton, TN,
you can travel toward Bristol and intersect with I-81 where you can travel
south and then intersect with I-40 west of the gorge.  Not a bad route, but
a long way out of the way.

3. Yet another route it to travel I-40 to Asheville, then take 19-23 (future
I-26) across the mountain to Erwin, TN (where they hung the elephant), then
on
into Johnson City, TN where you intersect with I-81 south which runs you
into I-40 west of the gorge.  This 19-23 section has just been rebuilt in
the last couple of years in preparation for extension of I-26 and is a nice
drive...but still out of the way compared to I-40.

There are any number of other routes using two lane roads (including going
through the Great Smoky Mountains Natl. Park) but unless you have plenty of
time to spare and loves curves,I would advise using  I-40.  As I said
before, it is not that bad....just that every time a rock breaks loose on
one of the cuts that the media gets hold of it and talks about how terrible
that stretch of road is.  Heck...what's a few landslides to an tractor
collector! 8-)

Hope this has been of assistance.

Gerald
Western, NC