[AJD] 214 Baler

Steve Treimer steelerhawk at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 11:02:29 PDT 2005

Kevin,
definitely run in with your R, you have live PTO on it, but I'm not sure whether the M does or not.  Besides, the R sips fuel if I remember right.  I would guess the 214 to take much more umph than the 14T.  I was running dad's IH 46 baler last night with the 730D, and strangely I find it to work much better than the 6 cyl. IH 666 that I used a couple weeks ago.  The 730 just thumps along just merrily and I have yet to plug the baler, but using the 666, it plugged several times.  Don't really understand while the 730 works better, but I'm saving fuel to boot!
Steve

Kevin Smolkowski <kev at smolkowski.com> wrote:

I suppose I could run it with the R. Am always worried about putting
too much load on the PTO gears, but I assume the baler is faily steady
and it will not see much in terms of shock load.

Anything I ought to know about the 214. It comes with a half dozen
spools of wire. Needs all those little oiler lines, other than that
it is supposed to work well.

Quoting greg at theoldtractorcompany.com:

> Kevin
>
> As we are in small bale hay country, I have seen balers run with everything
> from
> an 8N Ford to a JD B. Most tractors will run a baler but it's a question of
> how well
> they run it. When I was still selling new, we always felt a JD 1050 (33hp)
> was about
> the lower limit to suggest as being a baler tractor.
> You might have to pick your battles somewhat. That's why an engine driven
> baler is
> still popular around here.
> Greg
>

> Greg Stephen
> The Old Tractor Company
> Stephen Equipment Company
> PO Box 709
> Franktown, CO 80116
> 303-663-5246
> 303-468-0377 FAX<<--GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!
>
> On Wed Jun 15 9:18 , Kevin Smolkowski sent:
>

> >Does my M have enough umph to run this bailer?

Kevin Smolkowski
John Deere Model R
visit: www.twocylinderdiesel.com