[Steam-engine] Wachs vertical Excentric oiling question

Ken Hough k4sb at niia.net
Thu Jun 30 19:12:39 PDT 2005

These enclosed bottle engines were low maintainence. This were self
oiling. I'm sure there was a line from the oil pump to the cup. Is there
any evidence of this? Otherwise put a small nechanical oiler on it.
Ken

Howdy again gang...real nice day here in the big sky.

  I've temporarily assembled the "D" valve operating mechanism and hung in
on the engine hoist and put a pointer on the reservoir for the excentric
and the pivot on the slide guide.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/188300547/383083778FmqXBE

  Here's a closeup of the small reservoir.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/383083578/383083578uEMmiI

  To my knowledge, there are no provisions for automatically filling this
reservoir cup.  The upper bearing surface does show signs of being hot.

  This is a dry crankcase, and from the slide guide on down are hidden
pretty good by the connecting rod and crosshead.

What would your suggestions be for maintaining lube in this so-called
Reservoir??

TIA
RickinMt.