[Farmall] Opinions on a Farmall 460 Utility

John.Samulevich at alltel.com John.Samulevich at alltel.com
Thu Jun 30 07:11:08 PDT 2005

I've hung out on some of the other lists in the past to garner information about some of the tractors I've owned or thought about owning, I'm now looking at a 460 Utility and I'm pretty much Farmall ignorant so I'm hoping I can some opinions.  Mainly I have about 15 acres to keep mowed and raked (a friend comes in and bales it),  plus a little plowing & disking, snow removal, driveway grading, etc, and I'd like to move up to something more modern than the JD B, 8n, and Ford 850 that I have now.  Have been wanting a Farmall for a while anyway and now a neighbor has this 460 that he's ready to sell.

First, is there any way to tell if it has a live PTO, that's something I really want.

Second, what's a fair price for something like this.  I know that's hard to comment on without seeing the tractor, but I'll say that it has seen better days.  It ran to where it was parked about seven years ago and has been sitting since.  Tires hold air but are shot, left hood side panel (white piece that covers the spark plugs) is missing, and the air cleaner/crankcase breather assembly is missing.  I can't turn the engine by hand so I assume it's stuck, the muffler's still intact with a rain cap though so it shouldn't be too bad, it's a 6 cylinder gas.   Hour meter shows 1700 hours but don't know if it's correct.  Has PS and a loader that's been cracked & welded. Tin has surface rust but appears solid and is fairly straight.  It has a 3-point hitch, I assume since it's a utility that they all did.  Other than that that's about all I can say right now about it.

So any information and opinions are welcome.  THanks!  John
The information contained in this message, including attachments, may contain
privileged or confidential information that is intended to be delivered only to the
person identified above. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person
responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, ALLTEL requests
that you immediately notify the sender and asks that you do not read the message or its
attachments, and that you delete them without copying or sending them to anyone else.