[AT] Need TD18A moving advice

jim davidson 0xdeadbeef at lasencinasranch.com
Wed Jun 22 21:22:40 PDT 2005

All:

I'm a complete newbie to your list, but I'm in desperate need of fast
advice: I've found a TD18A dozer, sitting out in a field, that I can pick up
for next to nothing. It's complete (even the headlights are unbroken!)
except for the starter motor, and has about 1400 hours on it. Here're the
problems: 1)it's been sitting for at least 15 years, and 2) it needs to be
out of there in two weeks, or they will cut it up for scrap. I can't let
that happen!

I need advice on how to move it. I've heard that the axles connecting the
transmission to the final drive can be removed, but I'm not sure exactly how
to do that. I don't have time to find and order a manual... I can rent
something big to push it around, and a low-boy to haul it, but I need the
tracks to roll. I'm assuming that the brakes are locked at this point,
although I don't know for sure.

Here's my hope: can somebody out there scan an exploded parts view of the
final drive and e-mail it to me? I'm going back out to look at it again on
Saturday, so anything that I can have by then would be swell!

Please send anything you have (or feel free to ask questions or send
advice!)

Thanks!

JIM :)