[Ford-ferguson] chains

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jun 21 04:41:49 PDT 2005

> From: Twojean <twojean at quik.com>
> Subject: [Ford-ferguson] Re: chain issues
> > Thanks, everyone, for the help. Let me see if I have it right: using
> 1/4-5/16" chains as safety chains (I already have them on) holding the

The chains to hold the pto shield in place are the small 'wire' 'braided'
chain... that's what all my pto implements have come with.  Doesn't have to
be the heavy chains, as the plastic will merely give away before a small
chain would break,

> shaft cover in place; another pair of chains, heavier, I assume, from
> the top link to the Gearmore brush hog as height controls. Are these
> chains already made up, or do I make my own? There are almost no "farm"
> shops here except for two tractor repair shops -large tractors
> preferred- and no farm co-ops, like I'm used to.

The limit chains are easy to make if you have no farm store.. or tractor
dealer around ( a CNH dealer would carry them ).

Essentially it involves 4 parts.  and a bit of cutting or welding, or
drilling and bolting.  Start with two pieces of chain.. long enough so that
the chain will attach to the lift at full down.  No.. some people weld on an
eyelet made of a big ring.. or a piece of flat steel that as a hole drilled
in it.  This hole would slip over the implement pin after the lift arm went
on.. then the lynch pin holds them on.  Some people don't like to attach
this low, and instead attach the chain at the joint where the upper lift
link hooks to the lower lift arm.  Chain goes around lower lift arm and can
be simply held in place with a bolt thru the chain.. arange it so the chain
is on the 'bottom' of the lift link so that the lift link prevents the chain
from sliding up and toward the trasctor.  This is the easiest for non
welders.  Now.. up at the toplink you need 2 small brackets.. one that goes
on either side of the toplink pin, and is held in by the same pin.
Essentially they are flat metal ears with a slit / slot cut on them so that
a chain can be draped over and will lock into the slit / slot  they also
need a hole drilled for the toplink pin.  Some people get fancy and cut a
second hole and then cut the slot from that hole, so that the chain passes
thru the hole and sets in the slot..  If you don't have anything to cut
slots, I'v also seen someone simply take two chain hooks and weld then to
the small flat bracket, or even bolt them to the small brackets.

Basically.. if you have the ability to drill 2 holes.. have 3-4' of chain..
some nuts, bolts, and washers, and a couple of chain hooks.. you can whip up
a set of these in about 15 minutes.

You install the top brackets and attach lower chains.. now lift lift to the
height you want it to set at.  set the chains inthe slots.. and relax the
lift a bit.  Now.. you can rqis and lower the lift without looking back..
height position will stay the same.. this is great for mowing with dractors
with draft only hyds.. like early fords and fergies.

Soundguy