[Farmall] Oliver Cletrac HG Question

soffiler at myeastern.com soffiler at myeastern.com
Fri Jun 17 11:42:18 PDT 2005

Hi Jim:

Yes, I *was* implying that all systems prior to modern
high-energy systems (high-energy ignitions predate
distributorless) put a negative voltage to the center
electrode.  However, as you pointed out, that is in error.
It's more correct to say all BATTERY systems.  Sorry about
that.

It has been empirically observed that a coil hooked backward
results in poorer running, and the only thing I can think of
to explain this is the reversed polarity creating a weaker
spark because it is jumping TO the center electrode rather
than FROM it.  And if it wasn't a problem on magneto systems
(just like it isn't a problem on distributorless) that must
mean the battery systems were somewhat marginal whereas the
magnetos had excess capacity... what do you think?

Steve O.

From: "Jim Becker" <jim.becker at verizon.net>