[Farmall] Oliver Cletrac

soffiler at myeastern.com soffiler at myeastern.com
Fri Jun 17 07:10:30 PDT 2005

From: Ferg8n9n at aol.com

> almost all 6 v is pos ground, rare exceptions.
>
> Pos ground is better overall, but the invention of the
> transistor forced us   to switch.

Better overall?  Interesting statement.  I'd like to hear
some detail to back up that claim.

The transistor was "invented" (developed is a better word)
between 1947 and 1954, when the first commercial product, a
transistor radio, was produced by a collaboration of Texas
Instruments and Regency.  Indeed, it was this same period
that saw the switch from positive ground to negative ground;
however, there were no transistorized components being used
in vehicular electrical systems at this time so I don't see
the logic there.

Negative ground is considered "correct" from the standpoint
of chassis corrosion.  When positive and negative conductors
are immersed in a solution (humid air is a "solution") the
positive polarity loses metallic ions which gather on the
negative side.  This is also how electroplating works.  So
you don't want your chassis positive, it'll slowly
disappear.

Steve O.