[AJD] 1939 B home today

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 18:49:45 PDT 2005

   Yet another one home today.  I managed to get the
1939 B home.  Sorry there are no pictures yet,  my
digital camera decided to die today,  guess I will
have to go shopping for a new one.

    This B,  was bought from a friend of mine that has
lots of tractors.  I actually sold a 1948 D to him
about 15 years ago,  that's how we met.  He has a
knack for finding and getting tractors pretty
reasonably,  but some of them are pretty much parts..

    Anyway, the story goes with this one,  It was
loose when parked,  he bought it at a moving sale a
few years ago from a guy that has supposedly just gone
through the engine, carb and mag.  But he could not
get it to run,  and was moving and could not take it
with him.  Since then it had sat in Dave's yard.  It
also has a #5 mower mounted on it.

     Today,  when I got it home,  It was stuck,  the
water lever in the crankcase was just below the
cylinders.  About 2 gallons of water in the gas tank.
Pulled the valve cover,  all were loose,  but the
exaust valve on the #2 cylinder was about 1/8" shorter
than the others.. Hmm.. Head comes off.  Cylinders
pretty clean,  no rust or pitts.  Exaust valve on #2
is brand new valve other three are old,  there the
stem hieght difference..  Some gently persuasion with
the old love tapper on the pistons and it was loose.
Head goes back on.  Carb had clearly been rebuilt,
but It came home with me anyway to get the secret
passageway treatment.

      Clutch not so good.  Driven disc rusted beyond
usefullness one broken toggle bolt..

       The mag actually sparked,  just about fell over
when I saw that,  I thought for sure it would be dead
by the looks of it.

        I could not resist,  and sprayed a little
starting fluid in the manifold and turned it over.  If
fired three times until it ran out of either.   I
think it will run tomorrow.   The fuel strainer one
the tank is beyond useable so I will have to try and
make one of the bits and pieces in the garge until the
new one arrives..

       SO all in all I now have a cute little 1939 All
fuel B,  it has 38" pressed steel wheels.  All the
tires hold air,  I'll give the front ones about 300
yards before they blow out..  The rears have nice
tread but are seriously weather checked..  The #5
mower looks complete minus a rotted pitman arm.
Anyone making new ones?

      Tomorrow I will see what is living inside the
1936 AR I brought home two nights ago.

                  Chris