JD pawl needed- was Re: [AT] Really depressing loss of old iron...

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Tue Jun 14 21:35:32 PDT 2005

It is so sad when usable items go away.... I have a request for a JD part
that is probably impossible to find because it is used on odd implements. I
have a three bed John Deere lister (used to be the standard for pull type
40" bed listing in lettuce etc. here in California about 60 years ago) that
is missing a pawl. It is the catch pawl for the trip mechanism on the lift
wheel. I don't know if these were used on other machines and I also don't
know if it was one of the Killefer Los Angeles built implements or not. I
suspect it was as they made most of the discs, all of the chisels, rippers
and other ground engaging implements that JD sold in the 40's and 50's.
    Does anyone have one or two of these that I could get? I ask because I
was using this lister tonight and realized that without the replacements I
will keep having to jump off the tractor for adjustments - NOT what I want
to do! This may be old, but I want to keep using it. It does work a lot
better pulled by the 1941 Caterpillar D4 than my modern light Ford 4610. I
will try to use the D4 next time as that match is definitely better! But
right now transportation and a starter engine that I have not had time to
put back together are conflicting with its use.....
    Thanks to all