[AT] cub / prime oil pump

K7jdj at aol.com K7jdj at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 22:38:59 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/10/05 8:42:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
deanvp at att.net writes:
I failed to do that on one and it
scared me to  death because I watch the oil pressure gauge intensely when
starting  something I'm not very familiar with.

I agree Dean.

I have the same feeling the first start up after an  oil change.  Someone
else mentioned this also.  Most of our old  tractors have been retired to light
duty.  My in-law just rebuilt a 2  cylinder Wisconsin.  After the usual checks,
he let it run unloaded in the  shop while he played with his Grand kids.  He
said it started making noises  and by the time he got to it, it had seized up.
About $400. worth of new parts  toast.  Turned out the check ball in the oil
pump was stuck. This engine  uses splash and low pressure lubrication.  I was
surprised when he said the  piston was badly damaged.  I suppose air cooled
engines are a little less  tolerant of low or no oil pressure.

Sure glad the list is up.  Post times have been good for  me.  I was really
going through withdraws when the list was down for a  couple of days.

Thank you Spencer for the great service.  Sometimes I forget how much  I
enjoy this list and
all the people who take the time to post and answer questions.

Gary,
Renton, WA.