[AT] cub / prime oil pump

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Fri Jun 10 22:13:55 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/10/2005 9:00:56 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
DAVIESW739 at aol.com writes:
Walt, you are  terribly mistaken.   Self-priming and
positive displacement are NOT one  and the  same.
Dave I   never said that they were, what I said was that all oil pumps on
engines  are  Positive Displacement pumps.
Get your facts straight before opening  your  mouth.
When you rebuild an engine you always oil the pump before  putting it
together this is not the same as priming it. Its the same  thing as when you
smear
oil on the rod bearings before installing the  rods. If you were a mechanic
who
has rebuilt engines then you would  know this.
I worked at Sharpe Army  depot where we rebuilt thousands of  engines and we
never had to prime one of  them. I think that pretty  much tells it all.

I also said that  all positive displacement pumps are self priming.
That means that they will  pump air.

Sorry about jumping on some of you guys but I just get tired  of people who
think they know everything and in fact don't really know much and  then take
this limited knowledge to try an put me down. Next that you think I'm  wrong why
not use your keyboard and do a little research on your own before  jumping
down my throat.

You know what some shade tree mechanic told you  years ago may just not be
the truth did you ever think of  that.

If your oil pump needed to primed the manufacture would have built that  into
the engine.
How many of you have primed  the fuel pump on your car. You ever  wonder how
it get that fuel up to the engine when you run it dry. POSITIVE  DISPLACEMENT
ring a bell.

One person said that he get worried if his oil pressure doesn't come in 3  or
4 seconds, Well! all I can say is you really need to get yourself on some
Prozac.

OK that's enough of this stuff I'll leave you guys alone with your myths if
you get off my case.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR  97361