[AT] grease

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jun 10 13:54:17 PDT 2005

>From: "George Willer" <gwill at toast.net>
>Subject: Re: [AT] grease in steering gearbox
>You've summarized the situation pretty well.  Grease can work well for a
>long time in a box that can't get water in it like a Cub's can.  However
>it's a mixed bag in Cubs.  I recently repaired the steering box on the Cub

I'll give you that.  On that particular box design.. with a top facing
seal.. I see water getting in as a problem.. however.. that looks like a tad
easier to R&R seal than a ford sector shaft seal.. etc

>The grease had all left the important surfaces to cling to all the extra
>space in the box and water had entered in its' place to destroy the worm
>wheel, worm wheel shaft, and the worm that is part of the steering shaft.
>They were a badly rusted mess beyond all hope of saving... the grease
>offered no protection at all.

That's one advantage over the JD cornhead grease as opposed to regular axle
or chassie grease.  It's actually pretty runny, and will settle back off
walls after setting.. The grease is used in combine heads... actually does a
decent job of regreasing the gears once it has flung free.  Water will
always be an issue though.. if it can get in.

>Now... here's the mystery.  If the seals wouldn't hold 90wt, why or how on
>earth did the water stay inside?

It's a kicker aint it... and the water probably sat righ onthe bottom,
resting onthe leaky seal... must be the cohesive property of the water.. not
making it thru the thin seal gap.. whereas the oil was more adhesive and
flowed out fine?

>I agree the Ford's steering boxes aren't fun to work on, BTDT.  I've been
>inside the steering gear on both my 9Ns and the early 8N.  I much prefer
the
>setup on the 9N.

I agree again.. the 9n/2n box is better for lube as it is lubed via the
tranny oil slinger.  You have to do a bit of teardown on the pedistal to
shim it.. but overall.. not a bad design.. I'm not sure why ford hated it so
much.. I think the steering onmy 2n is as tight and smooth as my late 8n
that I rebuilt the box top to bottom on.

Soundguy