[Farmall] Machine Shed and Shop

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Thu Jun 9 15:42:55 PDT 2005

Farmall Folks,  From time to time I have seen discussions of machine
shed/shops, and I thought I would renew the discussion and get any updates
on thinking.
I am thinking of building a combination machine shed and shop.

The machine shed will largely be used to store my 8 tractors (all
Farmalls, except on John Deere 420 crawler).  Any ideas how I should
calculate the space for them and considerations for getting them in and
out.  I have a 340 Farmall with Loader, a Farmall A, an International A, a
Cub 154, a Super C with front and back blades, a Farmall Cub with blade
,and a 420 John Deere crawler with blade.  For storing them, I thought a
crushed rock or gravel floor would work.  I do have some implements for
them.   Any thoughts on door sizes (height and width)?

For the shop part of the building, I want a cement floor (any thoughts on
thickness).   I will put in 220 wiring for welder and compressor.   Any
thoughts on overhead door height and width.   What about heating...I am in
Nebraska where it gets cold, but I hope not to pay a mint to keep it
heated.

I suppose there are multitude of things to consider.

 I have priced Morton (pretty high $$ but seem to have a good reputation).
 Cleary has a local manufacturing plant and cheaper but does not seem to
have the reputation.  Chief is also local.  Any experience good or bad
with other pole building or steel frame building manufacturers.

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Larry Hardesty
Kearney, Nebraska 68849-2240