Detergent oil for old engines (was Re: [AT] It's a Cub! Update

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Jun 8 08:28:09 PDT 2005

If you think about the path that engine oil takes inside most engines, I
wonder if the fears of "loose crud" are overblown. In most engines, oil
is picked up from a tube that extends into the sump, and there is
usually a coarse screen at the end of the tube to keep out big pieces.
The pump is usually a strong gear pump that can push pretty much
anything soft through it, and from there the oil goes to a disposable
filter of some kind, usually made from a combination of paper and fine
screen. The screen stops the larger pieces, and the paper part will
filter out particles down to stuff in the "micron" range. After the
filter, the oil goes to the crankshaft, camshaft, and any other places
the designers thought should be oiled, at anywhere between 10 and 60
psi. If the filter becomes clogged to the point of not permitting oil to
flow properly, then there is usually some kind of valve arrangement that
permits unfiltered oil to bypass the filter and go directly to the
crankshaft and elsewhere. So I would say that the main danger lies in
not changing the filter a couple of times after changing over from
non-detergent to detergent oil.

That is only my guess/opinion, not backed up by one shred of actual
fact. :-) But I run NAPA 15W40 "Fleet Service" oil in everything from my
smallest lawn mower to my Farmall 560 diesel and my (IH) 6.9L V8 in my
F-350 truck - maybe 25 machines, and I have never had an engine failure
yet in about 35 years.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought. -Graham Greene,
novelist and journalist (1904-1991)