[AT] It's a Cub! Update

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Tue Jun 7 21:14:01 PDT 2005

A big thanks to all the list members that provided words of support and
advice on the latest addition to my little herd. Today I got to spend some quality
time with the Cub and managed to resolve a lot of issues due, in large part,
to the suggestions and advice from all of you.

The first thing I tackled was the oil pressure issue. I started by
disconnecting the oil pressure gauge line at the engine...no oil. Next I pulled the
pressure relief valve apart..it was dry and crusty. I cleaned it up and
reassembled it with a generous amount of oil. Finally, I managed to remove the stubborn
little Allen screw and primed the oil pump. Wow..I had oil everywhere (thanks
George Willer)! I reconnected the oil pressure gauge and it worked just fine!

I hopped on and headed out to get the oil good and hot for the oil change I
had planned. Of course the most logical place to drive to was the PO house. He
answered the door with an apprehensive look on his face and asked if there was
a problem. I told him no that it ran like a top and asked if he wanted to see
it. His jaw dropped and both he and his wife came out to see it in the
driveway. The 2 of them just shook their heads as it sat there purring away. He was
shocked when I told him I got it running yesterday. I left with pats on the
back and compliments from the PO.

When I got back home I addressed some other issues. The screech from under
the hood returned. After a little hunting I realized it was coming from the
generator.  A quick shot of oil in the oil cup fixed that. I then drained the
thick, lumpy, black liquid from the oil pan. When I tried to drain the
filter..nothing. I had to drive a screwdriver through the crud plugging the tube. I gave
the oil pan and filter holder a good flush with some diesel fuel. Then I
installed the new filter and serviced it with fresh detergent oil.

Next I drained the 2 quarts of milk from the transmission. It also got a
diesel fuel flush and then some fresh 90w.  I also filled the steering gearbox
with diesel but it will need some new seals and gaskets before it's ready for
more 90w. That leaves me with only the radiator, hydraulic system, and final
drives to drain and service. Other items that I still need to check include
generator output and engine governor for proper operation.

All in all I am very pleased with this little tractor. So far any problems
that I have encountered have been easily resolved..if you follow the proper
steps. Luckily all the issues have just been a lack of maintenance. This has made
for lots of smiles on my part. Unfortunately, this has resulted in some
unwanted backlash from my wife.

She sees all the quick success that I've had with the Cub and is now asking
why I haven't gotten the Super C running yet (it's been 2 years). My
explanation that the super C needs to be split and all the transmission bearings removed
and replaced is met with "The Look" and a, "yeah, and...?" response.
Sometimes I just can't win.....

Regards,
Karl