[AT] NW vs SW Iowa

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Jun 7 23:34:40 PDT 2005

Ron:

Drifting into Sioux County would be good for you.  Your land would
appreciate another 20% or more. :-) But you would have to be careful because
they are always on the lookout for anyone having fun and it is their primary
goal in life to stop it!  :-)

As I recall the Floyd River caused as much damage as the Missouri in 1952
and 1953. The West Branch River crossed our farm which connects with the
Floyd River in LeMars.  I have a vivid memory of retrieving cattle all the
way from our place to LeMars when we had a flash flood. 12 miles or more.
Not a fun time. Watched the cattle bump their head as they floated under the
Chicago Northwestern R/R bridge heading South. Amazingly, didn't lose a
single head.

Over the years since we left in 1962 we have seen the improvements along US
75 north from I29. Now with the bypass that isn't even the same. For some
odd reason when heading North on I29 and trying to get on to US75 North, I
always miss the correct exit and end up in Morningside and don't know what I
have done wrong. Then don't get on the bypass either. Either it isn't marked
well or we Western folks don't know how to drive in major metropolitan
areas! :-)

What is truly amazing to me is the stark difference between how Sioux Falls,
SD and Sioux City, IA have progressed and grown since we left. Sioux City
had a major Stock yards, I believe second largest or maybe even the largest
in the US in the 50's, and a higher population than Sioux Falls then. Now
Sioux Falls is much larger and I don't think the population of Sioux City
has changed all that much.  Currently Sioux City's population is 90,000 or
so and I think it was very similar in the 50's. But Sioux Falls population
is now over 135,000.  I guess the business tax climate in SD is better than
Iowa.

I do remember the labor strife in the Sioux City packing plants really hurt
and caused many of the "big three" packing plants, Cudahy, Armour and Swift
to slowly leave or close down. Then IBP started up in South Sioux City, NE
but with a much more distributed physical packing system.

It is interesting to observe how the area has changed over the last 50 or so
years. Always brings back a lot of good memories each time we visit. Even
have visited "The Boat" right in downtown Sioux City on the Missouri River a
few times. Have to leave a little deposit each time to keep the economy
strong in Iowa!  :-)

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door