[Steam-engine] Small Victories.....Madison Kipp

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 06:05:34 PDT 2005

I know that it won't sound like much to you folks, but
I passed a bit of a milestone last night on the Huber
restoration.  I actually got to assemble something
instead of taking apart for cleaning & repair.  Last
night I finished reassembling the two Madison-Kipp
lubricators that came with the engine.  It was mostly
a clean and reassemble job but I did also refurbish
the check valves and I had build up the worn ratchet
pawls with silicon bronze.  I just hope that the
bronze lasts awhile before wearing out.  On these
pumps the ratchet is outside of the case instead of
inside like newer models.  You can see a couple of
pics of them on Brice's page
http://www.oldengine.org/members/badams/parts.html
Scroll down near the bottom.  I'll put up some pics of
my own when I figure out how to.  In the pics you will
notice that the plumbing hooks up to the pump via a
union type connection.  The check valve is located
inside of this union.  One of my union nuts is FUBAR
and I need a replacement.  Who knows where I can get
one?  The nut is not common with standard unions for
plumbing.  I tried a garden hose connector last night,
per a suggestion I got on Harry's, and found it to be
the correct diameter but the threads are too coarse.

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN