[AJD] OT: Need help with brakes for 1930 White fire truck

kreig astroguy at nas.com
Wed Jun 1 21:36:10 PDT 2005

A couple of guys and I are trying to restore a 1930 White Fire truck.

We need to pull the brake drums off the rear axles.   I made up a VERY heavy
wheel puller and even with all the pulling, lubrication, and swearing the
drums are not coming off.  We are pulling on the wheel which is bolted to
the drum with the lug nuts.  The wheel is the only point of attachement for
the puller.  We have backed off the brake pads as best we could determine.

The drums are attached to the axle with a big nut (removed) and inside is a
keyway.  I am assuming this is all that is holding the drums on.  I also
assume a tapered shaft???????

Any suggestions for removal??

Sorry for the off topic and thanks for any responses.

Kreig