[AT] Oil Filter question

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 10 08:08:55 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie hill" <chill8 at cox.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Oil Filter question

  I just looked the D-14 over and there
> is a 1/8"  tee in the side of the block about mid way.  It feeds two
> lines. One goes to the head and the other two the governor.   The manual
> does say that there is a presure relief valve on the front end of the cam
> shaft.

A 1/8 tee sounds familiar to me. Thats a similar setup on the Buda engines
in my Cockshutt tractors. If you look into that tee it has a very small hole
in it and I've been told that it is also important in maintaining oil
pressure. Just working from memory I believe the oil flows from the camshaft
bearing area through an external line to the tee and from there is diverted
to the rocker arms and the pressure gauge.
One thing I found out last winter was that if this tee becomes blocked and
stops flowing to the rocker arms they will eventually get rather noisy.
Cleaning out the tee fitting restored the engine to its former silent
running and hopefully no permanent damage was done.
Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/