[AT] Air Lines

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 15:20:57 PDT 2005

Hi Myron,

I think that pop off valve is in addition to one that is built in on the
tank/compressor.  At least I hope that  is the case.  Other wise I agree
with you on that point.  As for the 8" risers, the main piping system after
it passes the pop off valve flows slightly down hill so that all the
condensate flows to the drain valve at the end of the building.  The risers
are to make sure none of that water blows up into the lines feeding
equipment.  I don't know that 8" is necessary but I'd be willing to bet TP
had a reason for that length.

I'm not being critical of anyone's set up.  Do it however it works for you
in your shop.  PVC, copper, rubber hose.  If it works do it but given the
money, the time and a nice shop I like this design a lot.

We sandblast structural steel, tanks, boat hulls, sewer plants, etc. We
typically use diesel compressors of at least 375 CFM output.
Rubber hose is about the only way we can run our outfit because it has to be
very portable.  The air from the compressor is very hot.  Moisture is a
constant problem, especially this time of year.  Our  moisture seperators
always have the drain valve cracked open to let the water drain out.
Sometimes it's a pretty good flow.  Even at that we often have problems with
moisture stopping up the sand pots.  I have seen days when we had to stop
blasting because the sand turned to mud and was sticking to the steel.

Charlie