[AT] Vintage tractor pulling advice

Bob Seith seithr at denison.edu
Fri Jul 22 10:52:47 PDT 2005

"Paved" was a flexible term when I was growing up. Most of the roads in
Perry, Ohio, (with the exception of U.S. 20, which bisects the village)
were tar-and-gravel affairs that got re-coated every summer by the
county. The thickness built up to several inches over the years, but
there was no base beneath it. The same cracks re-appeared in the same
places regularly. Through my high school years (grad of 1970) all were
marked "Tractors with lugs prohibited."

We got "real" paving (concrete) when I was in college. Digging up the
old road proved to be quite an operation. Because the road in front of
our farm was the main truck route to a construction site for a nuclear
power plant, it received an ENORMOUS base -- something like 16 inches
thick. I don't think it has cracked yet.

The "Tractors with lugs" signs disappeared, but probably because they
were so incredibly unnecessary.

Bob Seith