[AT] Some ads(JD hand clutch)

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Tue Jul 19 12:38:06 PDT 2005

My opinion on this issue is only worth 1 1/2 cents.  I remember well how
happy I was when the (Stanhoist) loader showed up for our !#$%^ J.D. A about
1949.  No more hand pitching manure !!! The tractor will do it all.  OH JOY!
Then it only took a short while to learn that 100 to 150 spreader loads
could be loaded by hand much easier.

Two hands were necessary to turn the steering wheel, since it turned so hard
even without a load..

Another hand was necessary to feather the clutch to make turning the wheel
even remotely possible.

Another hand was necessary to reach the hydraulic lever... which could only
be used while the tractor was in motion, and was as far away from the clutch
lever as possible.

All the necessary shifting very soon wore out the pulley brake from all the
necessary shifting.  This gave time to operate the two shifter levers with
the idle hands.

The trip lever must have been within a couple feet of the clutch lever,
since I don't remember it being much of a problem to trip it while the
tractor was standing still.

I doubt any J.D. engineers could fathom using a tractor in a covered yard
with posts on a 14' grid.  Maybe they could and sadistically designed the
system to be as difficult as possible. I haven't and probably won't ever
forgive John Deere for that abomination.  I probably won't ever forgive Pop
either for not buying a useful tractor... ANY OTHER TRACTOR!

I suspect today's J.D. collectors haven't had to use them in this manor as a
kid.

I have a deep respect for the young man who wins tractor rodeos driving a
J.D. B even though he lost both arms in a horrible accident.

George Willer