[AT] Some ads(JD hand clutch)

Brett Phillips bphillip at shentel.net
Tue Jul 19 12:36:36 PDT 2005

Ralph Goff wrote:

As Dean says, a
third hand would have been helpful when using this DC4 with a dozer blade
pushing snow.

Ralph et al:
Another machine which requires a mutant operator at times is the '46 Cat D-4
that my Dad and I own together.  My Dad now refuses to run it since he
stalled it out on top of a burning brush pile.  He couldn't figure out the
clutches in the heat (bad pun) of the moment.  The D-4 clutch is exactly
opposite from a JD, in that it is operated with the left hand, and pushed
forward to disengage.  Compound that with the fact that there are two nearly
identical steering clutch levers just to the right, and it doesn't take long
to figure out why he got mixed up.  The blade is controlled by another lever
above the operator's right shoulder.  Today's heavy equipment operators
would be lost too!  Fortunately, the fire wasn't too big and he was able to
start the pony and the diesel and move it off the pile before anything got
too hot.  He did say that he had to do everything by feel, since it was too
smoky to see!

Brett Phillips