[AT] O/T Trying to find a good used backhoe

Cecil Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sun Jul 17 05:56:43 PDT 2005

>>         I'm in the market for a good used backhoe and went up
>> north of the Catskill Mountains two days ago to look at a Case
>> 580-E that looked pretty good in the photo. I figured for a

> Cecil: If you want to use one for that much work you will want

it trouble free, repairs can really add up. You might want to look

around at the OEM dealers for a rental unit they are ready to sell.

Dealers usually rent a new machine for a year or so (around 1000 hrs)

then sell it. It will cost

> Cecil,
>
> I was stuck with and grumbled about my Case for 20 years before I

finally traded it in on the Ford 555.  Night and day difference in

power and speed, and I think the Ford was at least as rugged as the

Case.

> Cecil,
>         Wow!  Lots of work.  Big plans.  Get a good backhoe.

I don't want that 420C worn out.

> One thing I would be careful about....  You say the plan is to

keep it for a year and then sell it when all you projects are done.

You said you've got some seat time in a 580-K so I am sure you know

just how many projects you can find for a backhoe.  I guess what I'm

saying is you might find more than a years worth of projects for the

thing....

	Thanks a lot for all the comments, guys. I knew pretty well
what I wanted before I started looking - 4WD, extenda hoe, 4 in 1
bucket, gimbel controls, diesel, all weather cab, shuttle, and so
on - so I eliminated a lot of the cheaper backhoes I found for sale.
The one I went to look at had all of these features. I didn't mention
it but I had just missed getting a nice 555 for $11K. I agree with
George and like the triple nickle a lot. Oh well. I have a couple
more spotted - one of which is like Steve suggested - in the shop
for minor repairs before being put out on the lot. I'm going to go
look at this one on Monday or Tuesday before they repair it. I doubt
it will save me much money but at least I can see it before they plug
leaks and so on.

	I have a small backhoe now and have had it for years. It is
on a trencher but has limited reach and power. However, it has taught
me about pins and bushings, hydraulic leaks and repairs and about
anything else you can think of. Not dependable, it was known for never
finishing a job it started before I ended up with it. A congenital
break down machine is what it is. A good subject to learn on though.

	The one thing that is not really necessary is the 4 in 1
bucket because the big feature there is the grader blade and my JD
crawler is a lot better grading machine than a backhoe ever would be.
The tracks give it a lot more stable grader blade and besides that the
corners of the blade are right out there where you can see them.

	I was hoping someone would know something about the JD 310,
410 and 510 series machines but knowing your comments on the Case and
the 555 are important to me and I guess I'll stick with one of them.

	Thanks again.

Cecil