[AT] O/T Trying to find a good used backhoe

steve sewell sewell at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Sat Jul 16 22:46:43 PDT 2005

At 07:54 AM 7/16/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>         I'm in the market for a good used backhoe and went up
>north of the Catskill Mountains two days ago to look at a Case
>580-E that looked pretty good in the photo. I figured for a
>price of $14K, this could be a good machine but was wrong. It
>looked to me as though it had been rode hard and put away wet
>a few too many times. If there was a pin or bushing on the hoe
>that wasn't worn right out, I couldn't find it. Even the main
>pivot pin for the boom had the nut welded on to hold it in
>place. Oh well, keep on looking, I guess. The left side door
>had been mangled and was tied closed with a piece of rope.
>It had a 4 in 1 bucket on it but the bottom pan had a piece
>of steel tack welded on the bottom to close a hole that was
>worn right thru it. I liked the shuttle drive and the gimbel
>controls and the engine started and sounded great but there
>were too many problems to consider this one.

Cecil: If you want to use one for that much work you will want it trouble
free, repairs can really add up. You might want to look around at the OEM
dealers for a rental unit they are ready to sell. Dealers usually rent a
new machine for a year or so (around 1000 hrs) then sell it. It will cost
more up front but will be more cost effective as you shoudn't have as many
repairs as you use it .
You really want that 4 in 1 bucket to move stumps and such. Also think
about a 4x4 unit. Once you use one you will not know how you ever did
without. As for brand all the major ones (JD, Case, Ford, Cat) are good. I
would look for a good dealer that would work with you, is close, and has a
good price. Get the dealer to let you look at the unit BEFORE it goes in
their shop. That way you can see the small leaks, check it for abuse and
etc. A quick trip to the shop and 5 gallons of paint along with a new mop
can make an abused machine look real good . If you can buy it before the
shop and paint that can save you some $$ also.

Sounds like you are ready to have way too much fun. (-;

- Steve

PS See you next month at Portland!!

Steve Sewell
Albany, Ohio USA