[AT] Greenville Shows, bad times...

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun Jul 17 01:26:31 PDT 2005

I think all of us would readily admit that this subject is off topic and
that because it is there are some who are likely offended by it.
Nonetheless I want to prolong this thread long enough to thank Farmer for
his initial post and all who have responded to it.  I don't know how much
encouragement this thread has been for Farmer but I know for me it has been
an encouragement that could not have come at a more needed time.

Three weeks ago my oldest brother and his wife from Florida and I went to
Spring Arbor, Michigan to "evict" our 92 year old mom from her home and
admit her to a local nursing home.  There were a dozen reasons why we knew
we had to do it ... forgetting to take her meds, taking a weeks worth of
meds all in one day, forgetting to eat/not knowing whether or not she had
eaten, leaving the stove on all night just to name a few.  Although my
brother and I had been telling mom in nearly every phone call, letter and
visit since Christmas that for her overall health and well being we ought to
start thinking about a nursing home she would clam up or say things like I
don't want to talk about it (which I guess amounts to the same thing) or you
can't make me leave my house.  Before making the trip I told my brother I
would play the "heavy" with mom and do the insisting that this had to be
done and that he and his wife could play a more supportive role.  Well I did
and they did and mom screamed, hollered, cried and sulked ...and I was the
object of her scorn.  My brother and I had thought for many years that this
day would probably come and so we made plans to carry the increased
financial load that we knew would be involved.  But I never - not even
once - gave one thought to the tremendous emotional load/strain that would
be incurred from doing this and I hadn't been the least bit prepared for it.

I guess encouragement is an old fashioned word, a word probably not found in
the PC dictionary and certainly one that you don't expect to see when
reading a website on ole tractors.  Without looking it up I am not sure I
could give it a reasonable definition but when encouragement comes my way I
do recognize it ... and this past week it has come many times over.  Thank
you!

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington