[AT] Phosporic acid and cleaning a gas tank

Ronald L. Cook rlcook at pionet.net
Fri Jul 15 22:27:20 PDT 2005

Kyle,
	I have used Metal Prep, a DuPont product, and similar acids to remove rust
and prepare ferrous metal pieces for painting.  Flush with water, forced
air dry and paint immediately.  If left unprotected for very long, rust
will form as things are really clean.  Maybe you are thinking of
parkerizing, which is nothing more than black colored rust, I think.  WWII
gun barrels.  I believe that process takes heat, though.
	I once used some product called rust converter or something on an old
rusty Ford car.  You applied it on the rust and it turned the rust
black.  Supposedly you could then paint the part and rust would not
reappear.  It seemed to work for several years.  I do not think any of this
is what you were trying to accomplish though.  Clean that tank again and
slosh it with oil.  That will hold it until you start using it for gas
again.  Not much help, am I?

Ron Cook
Salix, IA