[AT] Phosporic acid and cleaning a gas tank

Kyle Sands willys_46 at mail.com
Fri Jul 15 20:49:45 PDT 2005

I would never have imagined it would be so difficult to find phosphoric acid.  I called all over town asking for it by name and also under names such as ospho, metal prep, or metal etch.  Nobody had anything, but more likely, I don't think anybody had a clue what I was aksing for...

In desparation, I went to a fleet store and looked through all their cleaning products to see what I could find.  I finally found a product called rust destroyer or something like that and it listed the active ingredient as phosphoric acid.  It cost my 8 bucks for 32 oz. but I didn't care.

I had cleaned out my gas tank using muriatic acid to eat away all (or at least most) of the rust inside.  I then washed that solution out with a lot of water and poured in this rust destroyer stuff.  I sloshed it around, let it sit, sloshed it around again, let it sit, and did that several times leaving it in overnight.  I poured it out the next day figuring my tank was ready - sealed and protected from future rust.

Wrong!  I opened it up a couple days later and rust is starting to form on the walls and on the little metal dipstick.  What's going on?  I thought phosphoric acid was supposed to coat the metal with a protective coating??  Am I wrong, or did I mess up somewhere?????

Kyle Sands <>< Alexandria, MN