[AJD] What are failed Master Brake Cylinder Symptoms?

Terry L. Hrdlicka th01209 at alltel.net
Wed Jul 13 19:49:39 PDT 2005

Dean,

The master cylinder needs a kit.  The rubber seals on the piston(s) of
the MC are shot.  From past experience on those old Fords, it's probably
cheaper to get a new or rebuilt MC and slap it in than it is to get a
kit and go through the rigamaroll of rebuilding the master cylinder. The
big clue is the fact that you don't seem to be loosing brake fluid
anywhere.

On the other hand, if you want to rebuild the MC, it's not that big a
deal.  Just basically replace the springs and rubber cups, and make sure
the cylinders are smooth, but the last time I checked, the MC's weren't
that bad, price wise, and I guess it depends what your time is worth.

This diagonsosis is based on no other obvious leaks in the brake system.

Hope it helps,

Terry Hrdlicka
Crete, Nebraska