[AT] Oil Filter question

Easley, Greg EasleyG at health.missouri.edu
Mon Jul 11 08:30:54 PDT 2005

I'm with Bill on this one.  My VAC Case works just fine with the new style filters.
It makes just as big a mess while adjusting valve clearance with the pleated type as
it made with the old rag filters, so I'm confident that there's plenty of oil moving
through the galleries.  I've seen two VAC's that were missing the riser tube from the
filter housing, which essentially results in total bypass of the filter - neither one
of them had experienced any lubrication related engine failure.  The Case feeds the oil
pressure gauge from a hole tapped in the crankcase at the center main bearing and there's
no noticable difference in pressure between the two filter types.  I actually prefer the
new style filter - the oil stays much cleaner between changes than it did with the rag filters.

Greg
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/woods/1416