[AT] Quality Cub time + Ramble

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 10 17:46:01 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Hass <gkhass at avci.net>
To: <100AcreFarming at yahoogroups.com>; <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 10, 2005 3:36 PM
Subject: [AT] Quality Cub time + Ramble

.  Which brings me to the one unexpected problem
> of small-time farming and one that is sort of discouraging...  This
problem
> is equipment conversion and preparation time.

Greg
I think you face the same problem as all of us small farmers. I've
complained myself that it takes longer getting ready for some jobs than it
does to actually do them. Add to that having to drive up to 8 miles to the
next field and it can get discouraging at times. Especially when my
neighbours in their $200,000 sprayers have done a quarter section in the
time it takes me to drive to the field.
But I take some small satisfaction in the fact that all my machinery is paid
for and in good working condition. No worries of making loan payments every
year.
There was a time when a thousand acres was a big farm but now its hardly
viable, especially if you are buying new machinery.
My 8 head of cattle don't make me much money in a year and I probably spend
as much energy looking after them as some of the neighbours do with ten
times that amount.
If I was to look realistically at the whole operation I would sell out or
rent to a big operator and just keep a quarter or so to hobby farm. As long
as its still enjoyable I guess I'll hang in there for a while yet.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/