[Steam-engine] lap seam boiler pressure

Lawrence Swanz LSwanz at superioriron.com
Fri Jul 8 13:50:21 PDT 2005

Ken,

I don't disagree that we need ONE set of rules governing all states.  This is what my understanding is that the task group is trying to accomplish.  I have heard from Tom Dillon, who is one of the members on a sub-group for the task group, and he is working with other members to incorporate what we have here in Minnesota, so that it may be written into Appendix 'C' of the N.B.I.C.  Last I heard it was going fairly well, at least at the sub-group level.  I know three out of the, I think, six member panel; Jim Larson (previous Chief Boiler Inspector for Minnesota), Tom Dillon (Chairperson of the Legislative Committee for the Minnesota Steam Engine Association), and Mike Wahl (President of the Wisconsin Steam Association).  I believe you are familiar with all three persons also.  Anyway, What you and I have discussed, they are trying to implement.  How much easier it would be if we all could operate under the same rules.  I just don't quite understand why it is such a complicated ordeal.  But as you pointed out, Minnesota can't even get a budget together without shutting state agencies down first.

As for when Wisconsin had its ordeal with its own inspection agencies.  I become somewhat involved in that process when Mike contacted me early on and I sent some information to your Chief supporting the factor of safety of 4.  Anyway, I am familiar with what you went through to obtain what we have now, or at least I believe your state inspection adopted what we use here in Minnesota.  I do like that your inspection agency calculates staybolt diameters however.  Currently we don't, and I think we should.  There are some engines, as you are probably aware of, that the stays look pretty questionable.  I realize that it is up to the inspector to make a determination, but it shouldn't be left up to one persons judgment call.  I like the aid of a formula to back up why or why not stays should be replaced.  Just my two-cents worth.

Take care, and it is always nice to hear from you Ken.  You have added much to the A.T.I.S. group and I know for me, that your opinion is well respected.

Lawrence