[AT] Under pressure...

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Sun Jan 30 13:35:31 PST 2005

    Farmer;
    When I installed my air lines in my shop, I made water
seperators from 1 1/4 copper with soldered fittings on each end
and a drain valve on the bottom. I haven't had any problem with
pressure on any of them..

                        Gene

:
:
: Thanks H.L.
:
: Sweat type is what you use in the summer and it makes you
sweat...   ;-)
:
: I just normally use compression or flare fittings on the small
soft stuff and
: sweat solder the bigger stuff. I tend to think of the soft in
a coil for flare
: fittings. I'm not sure the hard will flare right. I never
tried any.
: What I am looking at right now is my air compressor has a
section of 1/2" hard
: copper about 16" (guess) long between the compressor and the
check valve which
: is mounted on the tank. In the winter it has a bit of trouble
starting when
: there is pressure in the tank. It has an unloader valve on the
compressor but
: the pressure in the copper line comes up before the motor gets
up to speed and
: the motor strains (or stalls if it is really cold). I have
been thinking of
: putting a bigger diameter section (maybe 1 1/4") about 10"
long in the line to
: the tank which could act as a little tank so that the air has
more room to go
: before it gets up to tank pressure. Picture a snake that
swallowed a big rat.
: :-)
: I had considered brazing some steel fittings into a 1# propane
tank but it
: occurred to me that maybe I could get enough space by just
using some reducing
: couplings and a piece of larger pipe silver soldered together.
I don't think I
: would trust soft solder since that tube gets hot enough to
burn your hand.
: This compressor has a single voltage motor and uses several
capacitors for
: starting. I have it wired heavy on a dedicated line and it is
fine except in
: cold weather.
: My next one will be 220V. I can't complain, I have had this
one maybe 16
: years.
:
:
: --
: "farmer", Esquire
: At Hewick Midwest
:       Wealth beyond belief, just no money...
:
: Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn),
Scottish Highlands,
: Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana.
:
:
: Francis Robinson
: Central Indiana USA