[AT] Under pressure...

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Sun Jan 30 13:02:35 PST 2005

On 30 Jan 2005 at 13:55, H. L. Staples wrote:

> Not sure what you mean by sweat type but here are charts giving ratings for both
> hard and soft copper.
>
>  http://makeashorterlink.com/?N28732C5A

	Thanks H.L.

	Sweat type is what you use in the summer and it makes you sweat...   ;-)

	I just normally use compression or flare fittings on the small soft stuff and
sweat solder the bigger stuff. I tend to think of the soft in a coil for flare
fittings. I'm not sure the hard will flare right. I never tried any.
	What I am looking at right now is my air compressor has a section of 1/2" hard
copper about 16" (guess) long between the compressor and the check valve which
is mounted on the tank. In the winter it has a bit of trouble starting when
there is pressure in the tank. It has an unloader valve on the compressor but
the pressure in the copper line comes up before the motor gets up to speed and
the motor strains (or stalls if it is really cold). I have been thinking of
putting a bigger diameter section (maybe 1 1/4") about 10" long in the line to
the tank which could act as a little tank so that the air has more room to go
before it gets up to tank pressure. Picture a snake that swallowed a big rat.
:-)
	I had considered brazing some steel fittings into a 1# propane tank but it
occurred to me that maybe I could get enough space by just using some reducing
couplings and a piece of larger pipe silver soldered together. I don't think I
would trust soft solder since that tube gets hot enough to burn your hand.
	This compressor has a single voltage motor and uses several capacitors for
starting. I have it wired heavy on a dedicated line and it is fine except in
cold weather.
	My next one will be 220V. I can't complain, I have had this one maybe 16
years.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net