[Ford-ferguson] 12v coil / front mount

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Fri Jan 28 21:36:33 PST 2005

>P S , there is a company making a 12 volt coil for the front mounted
>dist . and it is kind of pricey .
>Bo Hinch

Here's an excerpt from a online parts house.  I've bought tons of parts from
them.  These coils are tisco.. and as you can see.. nearly the same price.
I have used both the 6v and 12v.  There are epoxy/plastic, unlike the more
original metal can ones with 'tar' like potting that melts easilly when
overheated.

9N 12024 Coil Assembly (Ignition) 6 Volt 1939-50 $24.00
----
9N 12024 12V Coil Assembly (Ignition) 12V 1939-50 $27.50
http://www.just8ns.com/index1.htm

> Dave Mayfield wrote:
>
> >David, if you use a 12 volt coil you do not need the dropping resistor.

The tisco12v front mounts will still need a half ohm current limiter
unfortunately..

> From: Buckies at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Ford-ferguson] 12 volt conversion
> To: ford-ferguson at lists.antique-tractor.com
>
> the 9n coil is designed  to run on 4 volts, 6 or more will kill it
> eventually, and the new 6 volt coils are not near as good as the  original

Personally I feen the plastic/epoxy potted new style 6v coil is superior to
the meatl/tar potted oem style coil.  Seems to have better thermal
properties.. it may be a matter of opinion.. But for coil meltdown
problems.. i don't see many unless the oem ballast resistor has been
bypassed.

Soundguy