[AT] Loose hay/roundbalers

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Tue Jan 25 21:27:19 PST 2005

On 25 Jan 2005 at 22:14, Ralph Goff wrote:

> Wayne, most of the round balers I see are the belt type. Hesston, Deere,
> CIH, and Vermeer are popular. There are some old Vermeer belt types that
> seem to keep on going for years. I've see a few of the New Holland with the
> chains. I hear they make a good bale but as you say, they would probably knock a
> few leaves off the plants.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

	Most here seem to much prefer the belt type. I would buy a chain type though
if I could find one at the right price. I believe they might be OK if you run
fast enough to just roll it up. I had a couple of local city police officers do
some baling for me a few years ago and they had a chain type. Nice guys but not
bale makers...   :-)   They drove really really slow with it and I walked
across the field behind it one pass. They were moving much slower than I would
walk and it had a heavy curtain of "fines" falling out the bottom. All that
made it into the bales was a lot of very tired frayed stems. On the upside the
sheep ate it OK and the hay lot was well reseeded.   :-)   I cut that same lot
with my 6' bush-hog this last year and made far nicer hay from it. I lost a lot
less leaves than I would have expected. I mowed it with as fast of a ground
travel as I could so that it just cut it and dropped it out the back instead of
chewing it up. It was not cut the prior year so it had a very heavy wet thatch
near the ground and simply didn't want to be cut with my old sickle mower. This
spring I have all new sections and ledger plates for my mower and it will be
OK. I want to get a big round baler so I can store some outside. I have stored
round bales outside for 2 years and they were still 90% good when I fed them. I
didn't have wraps or covers on them but I did have them each sat on a pad of 6
old tires to keep them off of the ground.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net