[AT] O/T Meyers or Western plow

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Jan 25 06:08:27 PST 2005

Like Cecil had, I have an '87 Ford F-350 dump truck for plowing snow.
Unlike Cecil's, it has the old IH 6.9L diesel and a electric over
hydraulic 8' Western plow. Prior to that, I had a '79 Dodge WD150 with
318 engine and a Meyers engine driven hydraulic plow. The Dodge was just
not heavy enough to handle my needs, which include a two mile, very
hilly, dirt lane - I managed to get it stuck more than once due to
insufficient ground clearance and poor traction - I ended up having to
carry a dozen concrete blocks in the back all winter. But the plow
worked fine and never let me down.

Most of the contract snow plow operators around here use either Western,
Fisher, or Meyers. I see advertisements for those plastic blades and the
ones that are split, but have yet to see one in actual use.

The combination of the Ford and the Western is excellent for my needs,
and I really like the "joy stick" controls (compared to the awkward
levers coming under the dash on the Dodge. The only complaint I have at
the moment is that the paint is finally peeling from the blade face and
will have to be replaced with one of those plastic overlays (or
something) that will help the snow slide off. The biggest problem
plowing with a dump truck is poor visibility when backing up, especially
at night in a driving snowstorm, but the extra weight of the dump body,
the high seating, and the dual rears make up for that inconvenience.
Another advantage of a mason dump is the short wheelbase, making for
much easier maneuvering in tight quarters. I don't think having a long
wheelbase pickup would work for my needs.

As far as driving the Ford on the road, I have to say that the steering
seems to be neither good nor bad, but maybe that is the nature of the
bigger truck. I also had an '83 F250 2WD, and that didn't seem too bad,
for a truck. More recently I drove my employer's F-550 18' rollback a
fair number of miles, and that seemed OK also. Maybe I haven't driven
enough other trucks to know what I was missing. I guess, as someone else
mentioned, I expect a truck to handle like a truck, and a car to handle
like a car. But I concede that the 6.9L engine could use about half
again more power for towing home my antique tractors.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

I'm always amazed that people will actually choose to sit in front of
the television and just be savaged by stuff that belittles their
intelligence. -Alice Walker, writer (1944- )