[AT] Now Trucks pulling tractors

pga2 at hot1.net pga2 at hot1.net
Tue Jan 25 06:28:51 PST 2005

Having driven a Ford pickup with the twin I-beam front end since '82,
I have to say that if you are having to constantly correct the steering,
there is a problem. I usually point my trucks where I want them to go
and never had to constantly correct the direction. It could be that
the mechanic that aligned the front end didn't get it quite right.
I had the opportunity to drive a GMC pickup from Temple to Waco the
other day. When we got to Waco, we picked up a Ford F-150 and drove
over to McGregor (about 20 miles West on US 84) and dropped off the GMC.
I drove from Temple to McGregor in the GMC and then drove the F-150
back to Temple. The only thing I noticed different was the seating
position in the F-150 is much better than in the GMC. The position in
the Ford is higher and gives better visibility. The GMC felt more like
I was sitting down in it. I believe that the GMC was a 2000 model and
the Ford was a 2002 model. Both were 1/2 ton trucks, with the GMC being
a short bed standard cab and the Ford being a short bet Super Cab.
The Ford rode as well or better than the GMC and the seats were more
comfortable (to me at least). Both trucks had "adequate" performance
for daily driving. I can't comment much beyond that as the trip was
not over 60 miles in the GMC and about 40 in the Ford.
In my experience, GM vehicles tend to have a lot of little niggling
problems, mostly trim and fit issues, and the Fords I have owned didn't.
That includes both cars and trucks back to 1963 when I got my driver's
license.

Phil