[AT] O/T Meyers or Western plow

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 04:22:50 PST 2005

	I am using my second Diamond plow on the GMC one ton
dump truck. I like the weight of it for the 800 foot gravel
driveway we have and the fact that it has a heavy bottom trip
blade. The bottom trip means you don't lose a bunch of snow
when you hit a rock with the blade. Mine is an 8 1/2' blade
and very heavy. They have an option for a Quik Lift and a
standard lift pump - the Quik Lift being a HD pump and can be
set to lift and drop at whatever speed you are comfortable with.
Made in Maine, I think Damariscotta for years, the Diamond Co
was just bought by Myers in the last year or so. I chose the
touch pad over the joy stick and like it just fine and have it
mounted on the dash right in front of where my fingers are on
the shift lever. I keep my hand on the shift lever a lot anyhow
and find it easy to operate that way.

	I've had some problems with the pump - all under warranty.
The blade would not stay up and they replaced the solenoids once
and then a seal in the pump before it stayed where it belongs.
Yesterday morning, just as I was getting a good start on clearing
the 14" of snow we got, the blade dropped like a stone in the
middle of the parking lot and I found that the main top casting
of the pump had broken right in half. I have no idea where the
strain could have come from to do this but that was the end of
the plowing with it until it is fixed. It is still under full
warranty so there will be no problem getting it fixed.

	I started the JD skidsteer - which is old enough that it
even qualifies as an antique - and used it to lift the blade so
I could hook the chain short enough to keep it off the ground and
put it away. One of the neighbors came with his Western plow and
opened our driveway and I cleaned most of the rest of the area
for our parking and the tenants with the skidsteer. Made a three
hour job out of something that takes me an hour.

	That wasn't the end of our troubles for yesterday either..
At 10:00PM last night, I used the bathroom and there was no water.
We went to the pump house and at first thought it might be frozen
but that was not the case. It appears that our deep well pump
chose last night to burn out. We spoke to our plumber last night
at 11:00 and he said he will be here this morning with a new pump
and the tenants and us will have water by 1:00PM this afternoon.

	Ah, the joys of country living.  grins.  I've found over
the years and years of living in the country, that you have to
expect things to happen at the worst possible time. This was no
exception.

Cecil

what you said.

Cecil E Monson