[AT] OT: Weather ramble

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Sat Jan 22 19:38:58 PST 2005

New England winter weather.....so far this year it's been defined as
everything from temps in the upper 50's with torrential rains to subzero temperatures
but, remarkably little snow. Finally, the snow has arrived..with a vengeance.
The weather Ouija boards are telling the weather wizards that we are due for
12-24" here in western Massachusetts.

They started predicting this event on Wednesday so naturally I did what any
red-blooded male would do...I grabbed my wife and took off to Maine on Friday
night. We made the required visits to L.L. Bean and the Kittery Trading Post.
For those of you not familiar with The Kittery Trading Post it is one of the
greatest stores for outdoorsman activities. Hunting, fishing, camping, hiking,
canoeing, et al. are all well represented. My personal favorite is the gun area
where there hundreds of rifles and shotguns, new and used, displayed on open
racks where you are allowed to handle and examine them at your leisure. It was
very hard to leave without buying that really nice stainless bolt-action 22
mag. Ruger. Oh the restraint I had to employ! I did find a nice pair of warm
socks and a balaclava to keep me warm while moving snow with the MF202
(requisite tractor reference).

My wife and I drove home in the snow today and made good time despite the
snow. So, here I sit with the thermometer reading 6 degrees and the snow falling
pretty good (they are predicting periods of snowfall up to 3" per hour). The
tractor and snowblower are fueled, my feet, head, and neck will be warm..now
all I need is a little daylight.  I'm looking forward to pushing some snow
around.

I hope the other list members affected by this storm made out all right.

Regards,
Karl