[AJD] Serial Number Plate

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Jan 21 19:21:32 PST 2005

David:

It is very difficult if you are going to try to get to specific serial
number. Unless you are able to trace down the sales records of your tractor
through previous owners it is next to impossible. You might be able to get
down to a range of serial numbers by analyzing the configuration of parts on
the tractor but that sometimes isn't accurate either because PO's may have
exchanged parts. And at best will get you only to a range of serial numbers
it could be.

I am not aware of how JD Corporate can be of help unless you can prove to
them that you have supporting records to prove it is a specific serial
number. Then a replacement serial number tag can be arranged.

I have never done this but have heard of others who have done the best they
could to identify the lineage of the tractor and then determine what serial
numbers might be appropriate and then find another junk tractor in the same
serial number range and take that serial number tag off of it and put it on
your tractor. However common acceptable ethics would be to tell any future
owner what has been done. What isn't acceptable IMHO is to try to enhance
the value of your tractor using another serial number tag which has JD
records which would create something of more value.

I believe there is a well known author in the antique tractor collecting
field who somewhat tongue in cheek states: "If you want a tractor with a
serial number tag, make sure you buy one that has one on it"

As far as I know there is no easy solution to your problem.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com