[AJD] Delayed posts

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Fri Jan 21 07:58:08 PST 2005

On 1/21/2005 at 9:22 AM Duane Larson wrote:
...snip...
>Spencer mentioned something about his bulletin boards being fast - I
wonder
>if he could convert this list to something faster (like other JD boards).
>9.20am EST

By the way, I have had a John Deere bulletin board since 1997 (-;   No one
uses it.

http://www.atis.net/cgi-bin/JohnDeere.pl

It is really a decision on technologies.   Most folks find mailing lists
handier.  Also the community tends to split up.   For every person gung-ho
to use bulletin boards you will find someone loathe to start using them.
So the quesiton becomes - Do you have two communities (the farmall users do
that) or does everyone agree to one or the other???  I like bulletin boards
alot but really like my email too.  Its there, in your mailbox, waiting on
you and you can check it wherever you like without advertisements and other
junk.   You can set your filters for instant organization and trash.
Folks have to be a member and not just any nutcase can post
porn/ads/whatever.  Granted, busy people find it handier since they don't
have time but once a day to check things.   If folks have most of the day
to follow the list they will are more likely to see and be disappointed by
the delays.

Remember, most ISPs have web based email so you can check your list mail
and post to the list from any PC that has web access.  I had a list member
go on a cruise and post from his boat and no one was the wiser!  I post
from, and get list mail from, the web based mail I have here at ATIS
whenever I travel.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!